Thursday 15 May 2014

Penny Dreadful – you mean Penny Terrible?




Penny Dreadful - Ok, so looking online it seems like I am the only one that didn’t like this show. And to be honest I didn’t hate it, I am just getting so tired of all the supernatural shows, which is weird – because I love those shows.When a new one comes along I think it is important that they bring something new and fresh to the table. They need to be at least at the caliber of the pre-existing paranormal shows.

To me, the staples that we should measure new shows against are: 
True Blood –Rocks hard core
Vampire Diaries – The best show on CW right now
Supernatural – You can’t beat Sam and Dean and their hunting escapades

Penny Dreadful  – had a great opening scene and I love Josh Hartnett as much as the next girl, but to me this show just did not meet my expectations.  

Vanessa Ives – played by Eva Green – is a prettier version of the Mentalist who sums up Hartnett’s character Ethan Chandler in a way that would make Patrick Jane  look like a circus sideshow act. Interesting, but done to death.

The action kicks in almost right away, but there is way too much way too soon without any back-story.  If i don't know why and who and where - how can I care and get invested?

Overall - You can't remake an old show with "déjà" seen characters and set it in Victorian London and just say “Voilà- a new show!”

My opinion: If you haven’t seen Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and True Blood – then go ahead and make this your creepy monster show of choice, but if you have seen the shows mentioned above , you will be disappointed in this uninspired copycat.

No comments:

Post a Comment