Wednesday 19 September 2012

Revolution - Series Premiere - Review


Revolution

Premise: (Wikipedia) Revolution takes place in a post-apocalyptic future. Fifteen years earlier, an unknown phenomenon disabled all advanced technology on the planet, ranging from computers and electronics to car engines, jet engines, and batteries. People were forced to adapt to a world without technology, and due to the collapse of public order, many areas are ruled by warlords and militias. The series focuses on the Matheson family, who possess an item that is the key to not only finding out what happened fifteen years ago, but also a possible way to reverse its effects. However, they must elude various enemy groups who want to possess that power for themselves. 

First impression: Fast moving, well cast and intriguing.

Cast:  Billy Burke (AKA Dad from Twilight Saga) stars as the main character Miles and as always he is quite good. I found him to be underutilized and underrated in Twilight and I am excited to see him in a lead role.  Elizabeth Mitchell is the only other face I recognized in this first episode. You’ve seen her in V (the 2011 version) and Lost (also JJ Abrams). 

Overall Feel: I was expecting more “Land of the Lost” and found it was more “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”  Although I was impressed with the sword play and the well-directed action scenes I found that the difference between what the trailer had focused on and what the show was actually about really threw me off. I was expecting something similar to TerraNova where there was some focus on how they were surviving without power and found that the focus of the storyline …was an actual storyline.  That being said, the plot was interesting, fast moving and intriguing – in JJ Abrams style…I hope it doesn’t drag on for 6 years only to end with a plane crash all kinds of unanswered questions.

Prediction: I am in the fence about this one, and as sad as it is to say I think it is just because of the JJ Abrams connection…I worry that this will go the way of “Lost”…that concerns me.  This plot could be simple and exciting…but it could be convoluted with a rotating island controlled by a smoke monster that turns back time….

Rating (1=low, 10=high): I give this a 5 out of 10….worth a watch but don’t be surprised if it takes a turn for the worse…

No comments:

Post a Comment