Wednesday 19 September 2012

Mob Doctor - Series Premiere Review

Mob Doctor

Premise: (IMDB) A young thoracic surgeon (Jordana Spiro) becomes indebted to the South Chicago mafia and is forced to moonlight as a mob doctor, while also working full time at Chicago's most prominent hospital.

 First impression: Mob Doctor has quick dialogue, witty without being unrealistically smart.  It leaves you with a lot of questions about what has happened to this family in the past, but rather than making you feel lost, it actually makes you want to see the next episode.

Cast:  Mob Doctor has a lot of faces that you will recognise - but I would pay you 10$ if you could name any of them.  My favourite is the male doctor who plays the main character’s love interests, he is from Friday Night Lights. I loved him in that, however didn’t love him at all in “Off the Map” which was a really short lived show about doctors in the wild. I could buy him as a high school kid but I am really not sure I buy him as a doctor. He seems about 10 years younger than Spiro (in real life is 5 years younger) and he is very dull in comparison to her rule-bending, sarcastic, “I roll with the mob” personality.

Overall Feel: Mob Doctor is very fast paced and well written. I was worried that the “Mob” aspect would make it too violent for me but I found that it was just the right mix of “Grey’s Anatomy” and “the Godfather”

 Prediction: I will definitely watch this again. It left me with the need to find out more about these characters and this storyline.  I’m uncertain about where this show is going and that is concerning to me. I find myself wondering how many favours a doctor can do for a mob kingpin before her “debt” is paid off…  

Rating (1=low, 10=high): I give this a 6 out of 10….the opening scene has her pulling a screwdriver out of a frontal lobe, that in itself is worth seeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment