Tuesday 6 May 2014

USA's Playing House - Is Not Playing Around

Playing House is the new half hour comedy on the USA Network starring and I'd like to preface this review by noting that I am unusually hard on "sitcoms" because overall I find them full of predictable humour and over the top characters.  I was particularly hesitant about this one because of its cast.  Parham is known for her whiny and frumpy overdone characters  - I site 2010's series Accidentally On Purpose, as Exhibit A.  St. Claire was great in Bridesmaids (2011) but her character was without depth and I didn't know what she would be able to bring to the small screen. I was pleasantly surprised.

Playing House is a funny show. It's not openly annoying in the first five minutes (which encouraged me to keep watching) and it goes out of its way not to hit you in the face with its comedy - which I was worried about as soon as I saw the name

The relationship between Maggie and Emma (Parham and St.Clair) was realistic and warm and I found myself being more drawn into this show and their characters than I expected to be. 

For me the high point of Playing House was - who soared to new awkward heights in the last 2 years of The Office. He brought his distinctive comedy to this show and added an interesting element. In a show where comedy is finding your husband "web cheating" on you at your baby shower - this element was welcomed.

Overall funny, with a hint of interesting and a dash of warmth.  This show will hit it big with the 30-40 year old women, but to be honest...probably no one else...

No comments:

Post a Comment